Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Nobody Said It Was Easy

"Nobody said it was easy
It's such a shame for us to partNobody said it was easyNo one ever said it would be this hard"
After raising Neptune, I was set on the mind frame that raising and saying goodbye to my second puppy would be less difficult since I would already be familiar with the program. It has proven that I was incorrect in that assumption.
Throughout my involvement with puppy raising, I have met so many wonderful people, been touched by amazing dogs, and contributed two fantastic puppies to a program helping people gain freedom and independence. It still seems very surreal that Archie was just cuddling with me the other day, just made me laugh at her silly little quirks and just came to me as a new little bundle of joy. Little things in life add up that make you think twice about how important a dog was in your life. In reorganizing my basement today, I found myself standing in front of Archie's crate reflecting upon how I am so used to associating something as insignificant as a dog cage with a dog, such as Archie. I stare at the bedding, water bucket and toys within that crate and remember that for the past year it has been Archie's go-to spot. Strange to think she is now adjusting to a new place, although I am sure she is settling in better than myself. The other night I felt uncertain when I realized there was no Archie to take out for potty time before bed. Once I got to my bedroom, it really hit hard. It is very easy to avoid something in your mind when you keep busy during daylight hours. It is not so easy, however, when you lay in bed at night trying to fall asleep. Thoughts seem unavoidable at that point, especially when one of the dog beds is empty.
Archie is one special girl. It is essentially impossible not to smile when you look at her. The moment you lock eyes she gets the stereotypical "Lab Wiggle Butt" with the helicopter tail and all. Just thinking of how awesome she is to me, I know she will mean that much more to her future miracle match.
Wiggle butt coming at you^

                                                                    

1 comment:

  1. You do amazing work Sarah! It isn't easy but you are touching more people than you realize. I know you are missing that sweet little Labbie girl. You've sent her off on a great journey!

    ReplyDelete